Careers at Retirement Life Communities
Palisade Gardens, Cobourg, Ontario
- Cook 1 designation or higher.
- Experience in quantity food preparation.
- Familiar with Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating and therapeutic diets.
- Ability to direct and supervise others.
- Ability to understand oral and written directions.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, and stand and walk short distances throughout the day and to tolerate heat from kitchen area.
- Must be free of communicable diseases.
- Familiar with Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS), Occupational Health and Safety, and Sanitation Code.
- Red Seal is an asset but not a requirement.
- Scheduling of dining room and kitchen staff.
- Computer knowledge (Microsoft office), ordering systems.
- Unionized experience is an asset.
- 5+ years culinary experience.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Experience with delegating tasks and maintaining fast speed of service.
- Standing for long periods of time at oven and food preparation tables – for up to 10hrs/day
- Walking short distances and manoeuvring in tight spaces within kitchen environment
- Pulling/pushing/lifting dishracks, food carts, bulk food items, etc, up to 50lbs
- Reaching and lifting food items and kitchen tools from and to upper shelving up to 10lbs – at times with use of an 18inch to 3ft stepping ladder
- Ability to complete repetitive arm motions for periods of up to 1hr while peeling, chopping, and preparing food items
- Working in warm temperatures and over fuel fired appliances for long periods of time
- Some memory work required when dealing with special dietary restrictions
- Dexterity required to open caps, pull spray triggers, open condiment packages, etc
- To prepare and serve nutritious meals for residents in a safe and attractive manner.
- To work within a set budget, limit waste and adhere to residence policies and procedures.
- Be knowledgeable of and practice residence’s fire and safety programs.
- Review regular and therapeutic menus. Set-up equipment and supplies for daily food production. Prepare food following standardized recipes. Ensure meals are served on time, at appropriate temperatures and in portion controlled quantities.
- Sample the food prior to each meal to determine palatability.
- Assume responsibility for routine departmental operations including: menu changes as necessary (ensuring that these changes follow departmental procedures), staff replacements, purchase and receive food and supplies and place service calls for malfunctioning equipment, following departmental procedures.
- Monitor the quality of food supplies received and the proper operation of kitchen equipment. Alert General Manager to problems and make recommendations concerning corrective actions.
- Maintain required records, eg. menu changes, purchase orders, delivery receipts, temperature checks.
- Responsible for the clear and correct labelling of excess food.
- Supervise and direct Dietary Aides during basic food preparation and meal service.
- Adhere to established policies and procedures.
- Perform duties as outlined and any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Check and record food temperatures daily on a rotational basis for meal times as per Health Promotion Act:
- Hot food to be served at a minimum temperature of 140°F or 60 °C.
- Cold food to be served at 40°F or 4°C
- Work with Activity / Recreation Manager or designate on special events, coordination and set-up
- Maintain monthly food beverage inventory
- Assist other departmental managers as needed.
This position is intended to be broad in scope and each incumbent to a position, may or may not perform all of the duties outlined in this position description, as well as perform others duties as assigned which are not specified in this position description.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- kitchen: 5 years (Preferred)
- culinary: 5 years (Preferred)
Kitchen Management: 3 years (Preferred)